Saturday, July 16, 2011

I Am Here


Mostly recovered from making the second longest transition from one residence to another in the entire recorded history of moving house, I'm ready to jump back in the blogging saddle again. (Only the Israelites took longer to get to where they were going). Now I live in Marietta which isn't that far from Acworth, but is a totally different world as far as traffic is concerned. I live right off of Windy Hill Road which is super busy with cars racing towards 75 or "old 41." When I first arrived at my building I didn't notice any cyclists, but I did see pedestrians so I walked around the area a bit. The sidewalks are pretty extensive--they go all the way to the Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area except for the last few hundred yards. Betty's slender tires do not handle gravel well so those are some rough final yards and I don't bother to ride her in the park because its paths are also strewn with gravel. I just lock her up at the entrance, walk a little bit, and look at the cranes.

The Hooch.

[The picture from] the one time I rode Betty down by the river.


The gravel-ly path.

The crane.

4 comments :

cameron said...

Good to see you posting again : )

2whls3spds said...

Wondered where you went ;)

What sized tires are on Betty? I ride my Raleigh Superbe on a rails to trails that has a similar looking surface and I would consider those tires to be narrow. Maybe give Praline a chance to try them out :D

Aaron

Courtnee said...

Thanks, Cameron!

Aaron, Betty's tires are 700 x 32c and Praline's are 26 x 1 3/8. I too thought of riding Praline on the Hooch trails, but I left her in Acworth so my mom could get some exercise. She's trying to lose weight and there is no way she's going to get her heart rate up walking her ancient terrier (that dog is nearly 98 in people years!).

2whls3spds said...

There's your problem...

Praline's tires work out to 35 ;)

Actually I am not so sure that the geometry of the old 3 speeds isn't better suited for somethings like gravel trails.

Aaron