Sunday, June 6, 2010

I Can't Believe It...


It's June, already! I'm finally (hopefully) closing in on a job. It's easy to get to via bus even though I have to transfer from Cobb County's transit system to Atlanta's. Both systems accommodate bikes on their buses and bikes are allowed on MARTA trains. All this is great for me--if I get the job--and what's better is that it will be an easy bike commute once I move into the city. The office is near the relatively calm and cyclist-friendly neighborhood called Morningside.

Finding a job is a job even when you're open to just about any position. I just need to make enough money in the near future to get me out of the sticks and back into the city. It boggles my mind to know how close I currently to shopping, banking, dining, etc. that I can't get to because it's all stretched along a highway. There's one bank in the "downtown" area of Acworth--Regions, the one that features bicycles in all of their commercials. They were also the only bank located in "downtown" Cartersville. I may have to switch banks.

It's really difficult to live a car-minimalist, organic/farmer's market shopping, vintage store browsing, recycling existence in a rural area. This is quite uncanny and irritating when you're surrounded by the beauty of nature and constantly reminded of how it should be cherished and protected.

On a completely different note, I've also been dealing with some technological issues that have deterred me from blogging. my computer is dying one component at a time; my ethernet port no longer functions and I have to get online by hooking up to the modem in the basement with a very short USB cable. The basement is cold; I hate the cold. My CD drive died first. I'm running out of disk space and I have malware that I just can't seem to get rid of slowing down my browser. I'm a hot computing mess and I've been entering computer contests at the library computer lab and praying feverish prayers for some divine intervention regarding this matter. To this end, I must share with you that a blog called The Fashionable Housewife is giving away an HP Touchsmart tm2 here and there. Yes, it's inappropriate, but I'll be so much more prolific in my blogging if I have WiFi and a warm place to sit.

On a cycling note, I've been riding a lot and I've even seen some other cyclists. I've been riding Praline for the past few weeks because Betty has a flat and, even though I have the replacement tube, I can't fix her because the hex bolts were applied with the superhuman strength of a bike mechanic and I can't remove them. (I guess Monty Python was on to something). Getting on Praline after riding Betty for so long felt really funky at first--I felt scrunched up--and I didn't look forward to standing up to pedal up big hills. The next day, however, it felt like I'd never ridden another bike.

I'll recruit someone brawnier than myself to get the bolts off. In the meantime, I'll be looking for a bicycle pump. I had one of those air compressors you plug into the car, but it was borrowed and broken. I'm sure it's a lot more practical to have a bicycle pump when you're planning on living in an apartment so expect some pump related posts soon.

3 comments :

RidingPretty said...

Oh it's so good to hear for you again!!!

GB said...

Welcome back! I hope you get the job too and sort out the tech problems. But on the bright side, you have two great bikes and people who missed your posts.

aka Cycling in Heels

cascadina said...

I hope you get the job and move to the city! I need to see your bikes being ridden around downtown atl! As a woman who rides a bike, there is just something about crossing paths with another woman, especially if her bike is sweet.