Thursday, March 25, 2010

Too Late But Still Cool


Cross Cultual Race... On a Bike from Jim Kellett on Vimeo.

I've actually had this bookmarked since February and it was supposed to be posted for Black History Month, but technical difficulties and my chronic procrastination got in the way. Still, I think this is a cool image and the snippet of documentary is pretty interesting. I'd hesitate to say that the apparent higher status of these folks represents the quality of life for African-Americans in Denver at the time because I don't have anything but this picture to go on. I will say that these folks have obviously got it going on, especially the dude with the major swagger and knickers!

5 comments :

Kara said...

That is seriously some bicycle chic. What a cool find!

spiderleggreen said...

There's lots of history out there that doesn't fit with what we were taught.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Kara: Thanks. I think I found this through some random Google Alert.

spiderleggreen: I don't think we get the history of every region in secondary school, maybe not even college. We probably get the histories of the places we live and when we study the stories of certain ethnic groups, we get the stories of places they are associated with--stories of the West and Native Americans and stories of the South and African-Americans. For a more comprehensive/continental history, you have to pursue it yourself.

She Rides a Bike said...

What elegant and lovely images. This is not the black history that I was exposed to in school. Growing up in the south, I learned that for many in the white establishment (including some in my family) the sight of the black middle class was extremely threatening. It's nice to see real history being brought forward.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

She Rides A Bike: After the Civil War, it's as if there's no more Southern or African-American history. You might hear about the "Great Migration" of blacks from the South to North because it touches on the Industrial Revolution, but that comes after the Reconstruction period which usually gets skipped in history class. I don't remember hearing jack about Reconstruction until Douglas Wilder was elected governor of Virginia and that was because I'm a Virginia and it was repeated on the news regularly that he was the first black governor since Reconstruction.

There's probably tons of history of immigrant groups, African-American, and Native-Americans that's not commonly known or taught in schools.