Wednesday, December 23, 2009

I Got Skirt Guard Help (!)

the skirtguard of Filigree's Raleigh DL-1

Thanks to everyone who gave me suggestions and links regarding my skirtguard needs. Since I have two bikes I guess I'll try both of my options. First, I think I could manage making a skirtguard for BBII out of strings. If I pull the strings tightly over the fender, they shouldn't move around (much, if at all) and I don't have to worry about my brakes getting covered up or drilling holes in the fender or putting binder clips on the fender. I don't want to make any drastic cosmetic alterations to BBII because I'm not that handy (yet) and I'm not sure if I require a skirtguard on her. I feel that I'm sitting up so high that my skirts aren't really that close to getting caught in the wheel. Praline is a different story--I've already had one skirt caught in the wheel and since I'm sitting lower I feel that it's a definite possibility in the future. My second option is a plastic clip-on skirtguard from Morgan Imports.

I wasn't sure about ordering anything from the website because I'd never heard of the company before and they have such a wide selection of non-bike related stuff so I called them up (gotta love that Google Voice). It turns out that Morgan Imports is a legitimate business and even though they're not a bike shop they do know their bikes. They also knew about my skirtguard problem because Michael, the warehouse manager, reads this blog. (What a small world). Charles, the store manager, recommended the plastic skirtguard because it clipped on easily to his bike and acted as a splash guard. Michael suggested that I drill somes holes in them near my seat stays and bind them to the bike with zip ties for extra security. Charles said that they'd even send me some zip ties (even though he said he's never had a problem with his un-zip tied skirtguards).

Now I have two solutions for my un-skirted bikes. All that is left to do is the shopping.

4 comments :

Filigree said...

Thanks for featuring my skirtguard and glad you found a US source for a clip-on!

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Filigree: Thank you for sharing it.

Deborah said...

http://open.salon.com/blog/namorrqw/2010/01/19/i_got_skirt_guard_help

It appears that an unscrupulous person is reposting your writing elsewhere! Other posts from your blog are there as well. You should send a firmly worded cease-and-desist note... Good luck.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Thanks for the heads-up, Deborah! I e-mailed Open Salon last night and an editor wrote me back today. She said it was a spam account that re-posted some of my work and that it had been deleted.