Wednesday, December 2, 2009

The Future Is Wow


This foldable electric mini-farthing is called the, "Yike Bike." I'm reserving my judgement regarding the title of, "bike." The website doesn't mention being able to peddle the thing under your own power and you can't carry anything on it. On the other hand you can ride it in the street in rain or snow--supposedly without getting mucky because the design of the frame prevents it--and it should connect with public transit without much of a hassle. It beats the heck out of a Segway. But five grand?! Yikes!

5 comments :

Filigree said...

No you cannot peal this "bike" as far as I understand. It is more like a stylish wheelchair really.

Filigree said...

"peal" in the previous comment was meant to be "pedal"
: )

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Filigree: Don't worry--I understood you perfectly. After a little more thought, I guess this might be good for older folks who can't get around by bike like they used to. On the other hand, I used to have an 81-year-old landlord who rode 20+ miles with a group from NE Atlanta to Stone Mountain on the weekends. He had the spandex and sporty helmet and everything! I hope when I'm his age I can still get around on my low-tech bike and don't need anything like the Yike Bike!

anna said...

Oh dear. I have actually tried a similar thing (without support though). Rather complicated to ride, can't recommend it. There's a picture of my friend riding it: here.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Anna: I wondered about the steering. It must feel like trying to navigate an armchair or something.