Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The Color Story: 2010













The predominate color palette of 2010 certainly fulfills the bicycle-as-fashion accessory role--none of these neutral colors will clash with your outfits--but I would like to see some options for riders who want something a little more cheerful or splashy. I guess, "splashy," wouldn't look natural rolling through a European capital and this seems to be where all of these bikes aspire to be. I would say that the Italian Abici (in its natural habitat) and the Globe city bikes fit in the best because I don't see a lot of branding on the bikes of Copenhagen or Amsterdam. I'm glad to see some blue in the navy Globe Live 3, still, I would like to see some more Robin's egg blue and eggplant in the city commuters of 2011. (Actually I'd rather that eggplant be lilac, at least for the womens' frames).

On the accessories front, it's more than a little disappointing that for $1, 899 all you get on the Abici Sveltina are fenders and a reflective strip on your tires. Electra does a little better by offering some bikes with fenders & chainguard and others with fenders, racks, & a cup holder. I think the best collections of accessories are on the Globe Haul and Live because you need lights (like on the Haul)--you don't increase your safety with a cup holder. I also appreciate the outfit-saving and goods-transporting accessories on the Live models (I so covet that porteur rack).

splash

6 comments :

Christa said...

Nice colors. Well I just got a new RED bike and I'm afraid about it clashing with my wardrobe. I wear a lot of blues.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

You don't have to worry about clashing because blue and red look great together whether it's a sky blue, turquoise, or navy. All of the primary colors look "right" with red except, in my opinion, orange. Opposites attract--colors on one end of the spectrum tend to look good with colors on the other end. For example, purple also looks good with red.

RidingPretty said...

Good information. I liked your color story reportage of what's being offered for 2010.
I wonder how many out there (other that we fashionistas!!) really concern themselves with clashing colors? HA

CupHolderGuy said...

I found your site after searching "cup holder" and as my blog has content related to this search, I wondered if you'd be interested in a blogroll link exchange (where I link to you, and you link to me). My blog is at http://oh-4.com/blog and feel free to contact me there if this is something you're interested in.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.

Jeff

Christa said...

Thanks for the info, Bronze Bombshell.

Good thing I don't have orange clothing.

RidingPretty, I wonder too!

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Christa & Riding Pretty: When choosing among bikes, I just go with the color that I like--that's probably what most people do. I figure as long as you look happy on your bike, you look good on your bike. Now having your helmet clash with your bike is a different story.

Jeff: While your offer is flattering, I'm really much more concerned with the bike that the cup holder is attached to than the holder itself. However, if I'm ever recommending cup holders, I'll be certain to link to your site. Thanks.