Friday, April 24, 2009

What is wrong with this picture?







Does anything strike you as being wrong with any of the mechanical do-dads on Praline? I watched videos, looked at diagrams, and watched a former bike mechanic that just so happens to play drums at my church reassemble my back wheel. I thought I had done it correctly the second time (the first time I either had a defective tube or I pinched it when I was trying to re-insert it). Now the back wheel doesn't turn correctly- it's stiff and the pedals don't turn with it when it moves. Are those nuts on the outside supposed to be fairly tight? Do I need to degrease something? Please share any ideas you have. Otherwise, I'll just have to wait until Sunday and even then I don't know if he'll be free to help me because there is an anniversary event for the organist some time after the service.

I have nothing against walking, but I would like to have my bike back.

4 comments :

Thom said...

Well, you should have some lock washers between the frame and the nuts to keep the axle from slipping in the dropouts (they're usually serrated or scored or have tiny nobbies on them), but that's probably not causing the stiffness. And yes, those nuts should be pretty darn tight.

Most likely, check the bearing cones to make sure they're not too tight. Back off the left-hand cone only until the wheel spins smoothly again, but not so much that the axle gets wobbly. Getting this dialed in just right takes some patience.

2whls3spds said...

Chain looks mighty loose too. I wonder if your washers are on the wrong side of the frame (inside vs outside?) Need to loosen up the nuts a bit (find the washers) and pull the whole wheel back, making sure it is centered. To check for that look at where the wheel passes near the kickstand area, you should have the same amount of space on both sides.

Aaron

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you, Thom and Aaron! I did have my washers on the inside instead of the outside and I didn't have the wheel positioned far back enough. I pulled up a diagram on the cone-thingy and I think I've got that on and adjusted corrected. The wheel looks centered and it turns and rides fine. Thanks, guys, for your sage advice!

Lynn said...

This has been so helpful to me, too. I just started replacing the tubes and tires on my Raleigh 3-speed this afternoon, and couldn't figure out why the front wheel was wobbly after I put it back on. Now I feel much more confident to start on the back wheel tomorrow. Gotta love the bike bloggers!