Thursday, March 12, 2009

Bikes On the Green Carpet


LONDON (Reuters) - The stars will arrive by solar car, bike, or rickshaw. The carpet on which they pose for paparazzi will be green, not red. And this world premiere will be screened in a far-from-exclusive solar-powered cinema tent.
Is a rickshaw still called a "rickshaw" if it's pulled by a bike or is it called a pedicab? Either way I think the starlets should skip the stilettos-- since they're liable to snap--and just ride themselves to the premiere. That would be very cycle chic.

2 comments :

She Rides a Bike said...

Interesting trailer. The world is indeed changing but I am afraid the powers that be are forever holding us back. So, I do what I can, ride a bike, voted for President Obama, and try to resist accumulating to much stuff that I don't need.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

I've read a pretty good deal of Samuel Taylor Coleridge so I can't remember exactly where he wrote this, but he wrote of people and institutions who hold Permanence as an ideal and people who hold Progress as an ideal. He doesn't offer a judgment on either one and I think he's correct. There's nothing wrong with time-honored traditions or continuity, but there is something wrong when politicians and preachers demonize people who champion progress in order to maintain the status quo. I think this is how a lot of people lost their sense of agency or their sense of hope; there's been so much Rightist backlash against change. I hope we get some of that back under the Obama administration, but I also think a lot the work has to been done internally by individuals.