Tuesday, February 3, 2009

"Under our igloo skies the frozen mind Holds to one truth: it is grey, and called Rochester."

Last week, I was going to write a post to inspire myself and others to get out in the cold, overcast gloom known as winter to ride more often. I was going to link to these lovely, melancholic pictures of the Welsh countryside and the brave accounts of a cyclist riding in frigid Nebraska. Then Groundhog Day came and went without Beauregard Lee seeing his shadow. Yeah, that's right. In the South, we have our own groundhog and he says we only have a few (2?) more weeks of winter. In that case, I don't have to work up the courage to ride under frosty, foreboding conditions for much longer. Thanks, Beau!

photo courtesy of Vino Wong/Atlanta Journal Constitution


Sorry, Yankee friends!

4 comments :

2whls3spds said...

I'm goin' with Beau! We have Sir Walter Wally who boasts a success rate of 60% versus Puxtawney Phil's 27% ;>) However ole Wally says 6 weeks more. Maybe I need to consider a move...even further south. BTW 4" of snow overnight :-(

Aaron

spiderlegreen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
spiderlegreen said...

I'm with 2whls3spds, why should I put my trust in a groundhog 1000 miles away? We need our own groundhog.

But our definitions of winter are a little bit different. There is much joy in Frostbite Falls when it gets above freezing, which is supposed to happen this weekend. But it is all relative. When it drops from the 80's into the 40's there is much complaining, here.

I encourage you to ride.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Aaron: No snow here thus far. Moreover, Beau has two honorary PhD's so I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt ;)

spiderlegreen: I know that, relatively speaking, it's not very cold here in GA so I try to get out and ride. Some days I'm not so successful because it feels awfully cold outside. On days like that, I certainly appreciate your encouragement!