Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Murses

If you peruse the comments of the Slow Bicycle blog, you'll see that several people think that accessorizing one's bike should be suggested to all aspiring to slowness, including me. I think that fenders are a must, but everything else is up in the air. Maybe some cyclists like wearing those reflective thingies around their pant-legs to keep their cuffs from getting dirty, like garters that everyone can see. I can't say.
Maybe some cyclist prefer to carry bags instead of using a bicycle basket. I can totally understand that because I love handbags, but I think that as a cyclist adds variety to his/her routes and destinations, a receptacle mounted on one's bike is going to be needed. A bag-loving cyclist could always opt for panniers-- they're like bags for your bike. Maybe you could buy more than one set and coordinated the bag your carrying with your bike's panniers. Or not. I figure that most messenger-bag-sans-bike-basket cyclists would be guys. That said, here are some mostly unisex bags.

This is one of the least expensive bags--you can get 20% off the price using code SRTN.

This TRKFLD bag is expensive, but they have unique patterns and they're long-lasting.

This is an economical choice (especially when it goes on sale) from Urban Outfitters. I love plaid; it's classic.

I didn't even know LeSportsac made messenger bags. They have a line for men too, but it's pretty bland.

4 comments :

Michael said...

I don't know what I'd do without a basket on my bike - I don't like having a bag on while riding, especially in the summer, so I throw it in the basket - going for a quick ride, throw in a bottle of water - heading to the partk, throw in a blanket...

The Bronze Bombshell said...

I agree. I used to literally be a hot mess when I'd get to class after riding there with a bookbag on my back. Yuck!

Kate said...

Lovely to meet you, fellow southern cyclist! I love my bike basket. I'm sweaty enough without a bag on my back, what with this NOLA heat. I insist, however, on decorating my bike with stickers.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

I was thinking about making some stickers for my bike out of some extra Reflexite tape I have. Something along the order of stars/astericks, but I can't find my mom's pinking shears.