Monday, June 30, 2008

I see london, I see france


It's not a good idea to wear anything resembling a handkerchief skirt while riding your bike; the asymmetrical bits seem to catch the wind. It's difficult to find something modest to wear underneath in case of wind gusts and not ruin the line of the skirt. If you have any ideas please let me know because this is one of my favorite skirts. I suppose I could also follow the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition's sage advice on the best type of skirts/dresses to wear while cycling.

4 comments :

Charlotte said...

I mostly don't worry about it - if your undies are cute.

That said, I wore a short white skirt for the getaway (by bike) from my wedding, and the bride never wants to flash her family.

In that case I wore a sleek pair of boy-short undies. Thin enough they won't ruin a line and their as modest as tennis briefs. Mine were a bit like this:
http://www.rrsport.co.nz/images/rsimages/07-nature-boy-short-white1_120_120.jpg

The Bronze Bombshell said...

I'll definitely be on the lookout for some boyshorts like that.

Alexandra said...

I agree with Charlotte - whateve is under should be cute and ideally coordinate with your outfit!! Boyshorts work well - and there are so many colors out(very 1950s) and a bit more fun for anyone when your skirt does fly up.
I have a couple pairs of the shorts for lacrosse (to wear under their skirts) from UnderArmour - they come in several lengths (2, 4 and 6" inseams I think)- in a couple colors to coordinate with they are smooth and lightweight and handle the heat well (important in muggy DC). They are a bit longer - and it's nice to tuck in a bit of the skirt to the bottom of the leg when on the bike to keep it from flying up too high.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

That's a good idea, but I'm afraid to wear longish shorts here in GA. It can be unmercifully hot. I read somewhere that you can tuck the end of your skirt into a garter. I always wondered what earthly good those things were!