Monday, June 30, 2008

Hand signals do not equal southern hospitality

Today, two strangers waved in response to my hand signals. They were not gestures of greeting, I was trying to make a turn at a stop sign. That's the third time this week. I hope our friendly culture doesn't get me into a traffic accident! I wonder if there's some more exotic way of signaling left and right. It's been a very long time since I learned bike hand signals at Safety Town, but I think if I bend my arm at the elbow and them straighten it out that might clarify things for drivers. We'll see.

6 comments :

Michael said...

I love the idea of a more exotic way of signaling...

The Bronze Bombshell said...

Thanks! I hope it works.

feral boy, ethpana said...

instead of a palm forward fivefinger hand try pointing with two fingers (two so the gesture can be seen from distance). replace the left arm bent elbow right turn signal with a straight right arm signal for a right turn (remember the left arm signal is only because drivers right arms are inside a car). While signalling, move your pointing fingers up and down two or three times, at a rate of about once or twice per second, about 2 inches- this will attract attention to your hand gesture and sort of simulate a blinker.

i know ...much to technical to be called "exotic" but it keeps me alive

The Bronze Bombshell said...

No, FB, I think your technical description doesn't diminish the exotic nature of your hand signal at all :)

johnnie said...

Second the straight-arm right hand signal. Palm down, point with index and middle finger. The left arm bent-elbow method only makes sense on a motorized cycle with twist throttle or brake in your right hand. I rode with a tour group one teen-aged summer and this was the method all the riders employed.

The Bronze Bombshell said...

I hate to be boring, but I think my regular presence on the road has helped many motorist realize that I'm gesturing my direction, not a salutation. I guess I won't be needing an exotic hand signal after all, not that I didn't want to spice things up a bit.